The past few years have seen a growing trend towards information governance and data management initiatives. Yet organizations implementing solutions have largely overlooked their file shares. The simple question of, “What’s in your file share?” has become daunting, and most can’t accurately answer it. But failure to manage large volumes of files puts the large enterprise at risk from a legal and regulatory standpoint.
Organizations that aren’t in control of file shares can’t reliably:
- Apply legal hold
- Defensibly delete data
- Enforce access privileges
- Meet compliance regulations
- Classify records
- Apply retention policies
- Protect sensitive data
- Optimize storage
FILE ANALYSIS AND MANAGEMENT: STEPS
ZL’s full-platform approach gives the flexibility to conduct file analysis and management in steps, allowing the business multiple opportunities to assess the results of each phase before deciding how to proceed. This structure provides a process that is more thorough, more cost effective, and more accurate than analysis-only products. The process can be customized based on the individual needs of the business, but generally follows three main steps.
The initial analysis process allows the business to assess the current state of the file share and its contents. ZL File Analysis and Management offers unparalleled depth of analysis, with three increasingly granular processes for assessing data.
- Metadata Analysis: provide a fast, high-level report of documents
- Reporting: generate initial report of metadata and take preliminary file remediation actions
- Accelerated Analysis: conduct a quick, exploratory analysis of document contents
Once files have been analyzed, remediation steps can be taken to establish control and lay the foundation for ongoing governance practices.
- Content analysis: index and analyze contents of all selected items, if desired
- Identify compliance-protected content
- Establish policy-based actions:
- Delete unwanted items and ROT
- Classify records and non-records
- Assign or change access privileges
- Categorize and protect sensitive data such as PII, PCI, PHI and more
Once file remediation has been completed, ZL’s governance capabilities can be used to permanently manage data within ZL Unified Archive®, without having to switch products.
- Ingest and full-text index selected items
- De-duplicate redundant copies of data
- Set and execute granular and defensible lifecycle policies
- Seamlessly perform eDiscovery, compliance, and records functions
THE ZL DIFFERENCE
- SEAMLESSLY TAKE THE NEXT STEP TOWARDS GOVERNANCE:
Simple insight into data is no longer enough. A good solution allows you to take policy based action for clean-up and then tap into a larger Information Governance system. ZL provides seamless transition from Content Insight to Information Governance all within the same system, ensuring that our customers are able to implement a long-term solution rather than a one-off project.
- INSIGHT BEYOND METADATA:
Metadata analysis is a powerful tool in file analysis, but it is sometimes insufficient. For example, the identification of PII, PHI, PCI etc. requires analysis of content. ZL File Analysis and Management provides advanced insight through metadata and content based analysis.
- GOVERN ALL DATA WHEREVER IT LIVES:
ZL is able to ingest a vast array of file types, work in mixed environments and accommodate deployments both on premise, in the cloud, or both: ensuring that the system can easily adapt as enterprise technology need evolve over time. ZL Direct Extract is also able to migrate and retrieve information from legacy data sources. eg. all file types, Sharepoint, Documentum and more.