Published by: Thomson Reuters
ZL Unified Archiving Takes Records Management To The Next GenerationSAN JOSE, CA – Feb. 22, 2012ZL Technologies, Inc., a leader in unified archiving for large enterprises, announced today that its flagship product, Unified Archive® (“ZL UA”), has been granted DoD 5015.02 certification for Records Management from the U.S. Department of Defense (“DoD”). With this new certification, ZL UA is provably the industry’s most comprehensive archiving system which combines eDiscovery, compliance, records and storage management under one unified system. Architected for the Fortune 500 to handle their massive volumes of e-mail and digital files, also known as “unstructured Big Data,” ZL UA has already been successfully deployed at very large-scale installations, including one system that holds over 9 billion records, with ingestion rates of over 50 million records a day, and full-text search times measured in seconds. The DoD 5015 certification is the most coveted authentication in the field of records management. It is officially endorsed by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) for use by U.S. federal agencies. A vendor is certified as DoD 5015.02-compliant only after exhaustive testing and stringent verification by the Joint Interoperability Test Command (JITC). According to Dr. Arvind Srinivasan, CTO of ZL Technologies, “As records management, eDiscovery, compliance, and storage optimization converge, a unified approach to managing information is the only feasible long-term solution. Vendors today often license or acquire separate components or ‘silos’ and then ‘integrate’ them through application program interfaces (APIs). This dated approach of integrating silos has typically failed in archiving due to the crushing volumes of unstructured Big Data. By contrast, ZL’s unified approach enables all applications to function as one system, thus making it possible to maintain one data copy and coordinate retention policies across the enterprise. With escalating user needs and data volumes, there simply is no other way forward. In fact, any acquisition of silo or point product today may be short-lived and more of an expenditure, than an investment.” Highlights of ZL UA’s Records Management capabilities include:
- DoD 5015 certification for the entire “Unified” platform, whereby records management, eDiscovery, compliance and storage management all share the same data copy, policies, platform and code base
- Single data copy, where single instance maintains only one copy across the enterprise
- All types of unstructured data handled, including e-mail, files, IM, Blackberry, social media, etc.
- Automated classification, granular to the document content level, with manual override
- Manual classification, with full integration into Outlook, Notes, using push (with low impact on email server performance) or pull (server “crawling”) methods
- Ability to handle both Records and “non-Records” in uniform fashion
- Most mail platforms handled, including Exchange, Domino, Office365, Gmail, etc.
- Multi-tenancy capability, including hosting multiple organizations on the same system, where economies of scale reduce per user cost
- On-premise or Cloud deployments, where users can choose either mode, while also being able to switch later without incurring data migration penalties
- Ultra-fast full-text search of data and metadata, with search time for billions of records measured in seconds