Apr 07, 2009
Komatsu Strengthens Email Compliance and Establishes an Internal Governance System by Archiving and Managing All External Emails for 10,000 EmployeesSAN JOSE, CA – Apr. 7, 2009 IT Holdings Group’s, QUALICA Inc., (“QUALICA”; Headquarters: Tokyo) and TIS Business Solutions Co., Inc. (“TSB”; Headquarters: Tokyo) have deployed the ZL Unified Archive® (ZL UA), ZL Technologies’ e-mail archiving solution, at Komatsu Ltd., the largest construction and mining machinery manufacturer in Japan and the second largest in the world. QUALICA was instrumental in creating the infrastructure and operations while TSB controlled the application building and integration. In the business world today, e-mail is widely used for many tasks including information exchange, task confirmation and decision making. Previously, Komatsu had been performing back-ups of their e-mail for disaster recovery and records management; however, Komatsu chose to implement an e-mail archiving solution to establish internal governance, risk and compliance procedures and promote continued efforts for improved management transparency and soundness. Komatsu’s deployment objective was centered on data loss prevention to stop information leakage. Since certain departments handled confidential information, compliance measures were required to protect against leakage via outbound e-mail. Komatsu evaluated and selected ZL Unified Archive® based on the following proven benefits:
- Ability to Capture and Store a Large Volume of E-mails without Loss. Komatsu’s 10,000 employees generate a considerable amount of external e-mail. ZL UA’s proven scalability enables them to store all e-mails with expansion and capture all BCC recipients and distribution list members.
- Data Loss Prevention Against Fraud through Pre-review and Blocking Features. Blocking outbound e-mails was important for Komatsu. Implementing ZL UA enabled them to filter all outbound messages based on a custom lexicon and the ability to intercept, evaluate and quarantine the e-mails if necessary, while integrating seamlessly with Lotus Notes.
- Hi-Speed Search Function for Audit. Message header, body and attachment information of all e-mail are automatically full-text indexed, encrypted, and stored in real time, to enable immediate high-speed search. Furthermore, the encrypted archiving feature prevents the tampering of archived e-mail.
- Real-time Audit Capability. As a standard operating procedure, e-mail not conforming to the corporate governance policy is detected, audited and approved before transmission.
- End-User Access to Archived E-mail. ZL UA’s End-user Journal Search feature enables instant end-user access to archived mails, without the need and cost of implementing another archiving application such as “stubbing.”
- Proven Scalability and significant reduction in intial hardware investment.
- Single-Instance Storage (SIS) for Reduction of Archived E-mail Storage. When identical message and/or attachments are sent to multiple recipients, ZL UA logs the header information and Single-Instance Storage is used to store the message and/or attachments, reducing the storage footprint and costs by up to 80%.
- Unified E-mail and File Archiving Capability. Files within the corporate LAN and on employee desktops or laptops, etc., can be archived and unified with the e-mail archive. This feature will prove to be instrumental in fulfilling Komatsu’s vision to further strengthen their internal control system.
- Proven Track Record of ZL Technologies. Files within the corporate LAN and on employee desktops or laptops, etc., can be archived and unified with the e-mail archive. This feature will prove to be instrumental in fulfilling Komatsu’s vision to further strengthen their internal control system.
About ZL Technologies, Inc. ZL Technologies makes Unified Archive® software (“ZL UA®”) to enable large enterprises to manage all unstructured content such as e-mail and files, to satisfy corporate archiving needs for eDiscovery, records management, regulatory compliance, corporate governance, and storage management. It also enables the same unstructured content to become the organization’s Corporate eMemory™ for competitive advantage, such as sharing knowledge, experts, and history across the enterprise. ZL UA’s unique differentiator is its unified architecture, which consolidates all applications and billions of documents under one platform, thus eliminating today’s fractured data silos which significantly raise operating costs and legal risks. Demonstrating a proven track record with Global 500 customers and strategic partnerships with major players such as Oracle, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, and SunGard, ZL has emerged as the technology leader in harnessing unstructured “Big Data” for strategic advantage. For more information, please visit www.zlti.com.